Fresh, homemade applesauce is quick and simple to make. Take a bit of worry out of feeding your family with this easy DIY recipe.
- 4 tart apples (such as Granny Smith)
- 4 crisp/sweet apples (Fuji, Crispin, etc)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (if desired)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (to taste)
- 1⁄4 c water or 1⁄4 c juice
- 3 -6 tbsp sugar or sweetener to taste
- Wash, peel, core and slice the apples.
- Place apples in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Add in 1/4 cup liquid , and desired spices, stir thoroughly.
- Cover with heavy microwave-safe plastic wrap (leave a little side opened to allow steam to escape).
- Microwave on HIGH power for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and stir, then continue to microwave uncovered until apples are very tender (about 5-6 minutes longer).
- Using a large fork or a potato masher for this, coarsely mash apples to desired texture, or puree with blender for smoother consistency.
- Add in sugar/sweetener to taste while the apples are still hot; mix well.
- Bring to room temperature, then refrigerate up to two days, or freeze in plastic freezer containers.