Tomatoes are an excellent source of heart healthy Lycopene, and this quick and easy pizza makes for great comfort food.
- 1 handful Basil, fresh and washed
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- baked pizza crust or flat bread
- 2 Washed Roma or Plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup pizza or tomato sauce
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Optional: fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix olive oil and chopped garlic in a bowl. After 15 minutes, spread garlic oil on pizza crust or flat bread, place in oven for 5 minutes to crisp. Remove crust from oven, turn oven temperature up to 475F. Spread pizza sauce on crust, followed by Mozzarella slices, then tomato slices. Place on center rack in oven and bake approximately 10 minutes, until cheese in center is bubbling. Remove from oven, add fresh basil leaves, and ground pepper if desired. Slice and serve immediately.
VARIATION – Drizzle baked pizza with balsamic vinegar before slicing.