We are in the 4th week of school here in the Pacific Northwest and the common cold has made its presence known. This Asian Chicken Noodle Soup with freshly washed veggies is sure to lift the spirits of those battling this unwelcome visitor. Enjoy.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ c onion diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground ginger (cinnamon makes a great sub)
4 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast sliced thinly, bite size pieces
3 tbsp teriyaki sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
6 oz noodles (chow mein or egg noodle in a pinch)
2 carrots sliced (Wash with Purely Essential before slicing)
1 green pepper thinly sliced (Wash with Purely Essential before slicing)
1 red pepper thinly sliced (Wash with Purely Essential before slicing)
5 oz fresh and washed spinach or kale (Wash with Purely Essential before adding)
Green onion tops for garnish
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until tender.
3. Increase heat to medium high and add water and chicken broth.
4. Salt and pepper chicken breasts
5. Add chicken breasts; stir in teriyaki sauce and season with salt and pepper.
6. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce to a simmer, and continue to cook for about 6 minutes, or until chicken is done.
7. Add the noodles, and cook for about 3 minutes
8. Add peppers and greens and cook until noodles are tender
9. Remove from heat
10. Garnish with green onions.
11. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with hot sauce (optional).